Saturday

Trying new treatments for Fibromyalgia

treatments for Fibromyalgia

I have decided to lay off the medications for a while and try what are sometimes called Complementary or Alternative Therapies.

These include:

First of all I am going to investigate the ancient Chinese system of Acupuncture in which fine needles are inserted in the skin at points along lines of energy called meridians. .Has anyone tried acupuncture for their fibromyalgia? I would love to hear from you.

does acupuncture help fibromyalgia?
I am trying acupuncture to reduce the pain and fatigue of fibromyalgia.
This is amazing information about Fibro and Acupuncture: A trial, conducted by the Mayo Clinic, found that acupuncture "provided significant improvements in a variety of symptoms associated with fibromyalgia, with the effects of care often lasting several months". ACUPUNCTURETODAY

In this trial 50 patients who had tried other treatments for relief, without success, either had acupuncture or simulated acupuncture. They were not told which treatment they received. After 6 sessions they reported improvement in symptoms of pain, anxiety and fatigue. I personally do not get anxiety but have decided to try acupuncture for my pain and fatigue. I will keep you posted.

I would love to know what alternative therapies you have tried. I have sometimes used homeopathy, magnets, meditation, diet, and my favourites myofascial massage and hydrotherapy.

treatments for fibromyalgia
I am trying alternative therapies to reduce the pain of fibromyalgia.

You might also like to read: Homeopathy for Fibromyalgia

12 comments:

  1. Acupuncture has helped me with general balance and wellbeing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, this is great to hear and echoes my own experience with acupuncture. Besides pain reduction I do get a feeling of general wellbeing after each session.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:25 PM

    "This study shows there is something real about acupuncture and its effects on Fibromyalgia," says David Martin, M.D., Ph.D., Mayo Clinic anesthesiologist and the study's lead investigator. "Our study was performed on patients with moderate to severe Fibromyalgia. It's my speculation that if acupuncture works for these patients with recalcitrant Fibromyalgia -- where previous treatments had not provided satisfactory relief -- it would likely work for many of the millions of Fibromyalgia patients."
    More at http://www.news-medical.net/news/2005/08/25/12699.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to shared this research here about acupuncture and fibro, especially as it helped fibro suffererswho had not gotten relief from previous things they had tried to treat their symptoms.

      Delete
  3. "Chinese medicine views fibromyalgia as a condition resulting from general weakness of the liver, kidney, spleen and heart, caused by emotional stress, over strain, lack of adequate sleep and nutrition, and disturbed body rhythm - in other words, the body is out of "sync.""
    FROM Acupuncture.com
    http://acupuncture.com/conditions/fibromyalc.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi cid, this is interseting. The chinese medical understanding seems so different to western medicine. I have had great fibromyalgia symptom reduction from acupuncture treatments and have written a few articles about it on this site https://fibrofiles.blogspot.com/search/label/acupuncture

      Delete
  4. I think I've finally reached the point to where I'm going to try Acupuncture for the dizziness/vertigo/nausea spells I constantly live with. It's tough to find such providers in the area I live in, but it's reaching the point where I have to! Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FightingWithFibro, I hope you find a good acupuncturist in your area. I've actually had great success with acupuncture treatments for reducing dizziness and also tinnitus.

      Delete
  5. I just found out that my insurance covers 10 visits. It was expensive, so I opted for massage. I am hoing to recheck into it again. My pain just mever subsides. It's deep in and all over. Massage actually feels good but doesnt change the pain much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, you have to find what works for you. my favorite treatments are warm water therapy and myofascial massage.
      These both give me great relief - if I could afford it I would have a massage every week and acupuncture too. Luckily we have a local pool where I can attend warm water classes once a week.

      Delete
  6. I'd like to suggest trying Low Dose Naltrexone. Dr. Daniel Clauw, in a recent webinar, sounded very positive about it. I'm also having good results. It's not a cure, for sure, but it's giving me several hours in a day where I can think clearly, have energy to do things, and have level 3 or less pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for suggesting LDN here Katie. I do appreciate all the research that Dr. Clauw does and will definitely check it out. I have been noticing the results you have been getting on your blog PainFULLY Living and following with interest. At the moment I am researching and trying CBD oil. Anything that gives some reduction in symptoms is necessary. We live in hope of a cure.














      Delete

Thanks for your input