Saturday

Chronic Illness - the painful facts

Chronic Illness  the painful facts
So what do you want me to say?
That I am good now? all good, everything good?
That I got a diagnosis and now I am magically fixed?
Not many illnesses are like that are they?
Well I know chronic illnesses and pain illnesses and autoimmune illnesses are not.
Let's just take autoimmune conditions for a moment. The current view is that there are 100 conditions and 40 suspect ones and I cannot think of one that has a cure. They are life long conditions that need life long treatment and have a huge impact on the lives of those with them and those closest to them.

Fibromyalgia - that's the same.

Osteoarthritis  - that's the same.

The American Chronic Pain Association site lists over 60 conditions on their A to Z page and they are mostly all the same. No cure.

Chronic disease: A disease that persists for a long time. A chronic disease is one lasting 3 months or more, by the definition of the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics. Chronic diseases generally cannot be prevented by vaccines or cured by medication, nor do they just disappear. 

MedicineNet


So where did this idea come from that we get a diagnosis and then we are cured? It's a mystery to me and one that I may need to investigate some time in the future but right now I am paddling my feet under water like a duck so that I can look this amazing. I am paddling so madly that it takes all my efforts.

And you look so good... I hear you say.

Well truth be told I have a whole bag of tricks that I carry with me, everywhere, that help me every single day. I have collected the contents of this bag over 20 years of living with chronic pain.
Pain is the most common reason that people seek medical help—yet it remains one of the most neglected and misunderstood areas of healthcare. PAIN AUSTRALIA
Most people don't realize how little their doctor knows about chronic pain. It’s up to the individual with pain to learn as much as they can about effective treatments and how pain affects them, so they can improve their quality of life.

Chronic pain affects more than your body. It's psychologically stressful and can lead to emotions like anger and frustration which is probably why I started this post in that tone.

If your interested in finding out about the contents of my metaphorical bag of tricks for coping with the chronic life you can sign up for my newsletter. I include tips and advice from experts and people living with chronic pain, mostly evidence-based treatment and ideas that I have garnered over the years. I send it out usually once a week.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Saved as a favorite, I really like your web site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Some truly excellent blog posts on this site, thank you for contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:16 AM

    Some genuinely interesting information, well written and broadly speaking user pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to let me know.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:32 PM

    Regards for helping out, excellent information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input