Friday

8 uplifting Lucille Ball quotes for People Living With Chronic Illness

 Lucille Ball was an amazing women. She did not have fibromyalgia but she did fight adversity. She was a pioneer in a man's world, a female comedian and actress who went on to be a studio executive and producer. Actually Lucille Ball was the first woman to run a production studio, without a man’s help, and the first woman to receive the gold medal from the International Radio and Television Society.  In 1951, I Love Lucy made its television debut pioneering a new sitcom style that continues to influence television to this day.

When Lucille was in her late teens she was struck with a mystery illness that caused so much pain that she could not walk. It kept her bedridden for two years. Many people believe it was a form of arthritis that flared up occasionally in her life and stopped her from working. The 1960 Broadway musical Wildcat she was in ended its run early when Lucille became too ill to continue. 

Lucille is not remembered for her illness... she will always be remembered for her comedy and her bright and bubbly outlook on life. I have collected here a few things she is known to have said that I find inspirational especially when living with chronic illness as she did.

8 uplifting Lucille Ball quotes for People Living With Chronic Illness


Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. 

Knowing what you can not do is more important than knowing what you can do. 

It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.

I believe that we're as happy in life as we make up our minds to be.

One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself

I want you please not to be taken up in the undertow of pessimism.

Whether we're prepared or not, life has a habit of thrusting situations upon us.

Lucille Ball quotes
Lucille Ball in I love Lucy

8 Lucille Ball quotes that relate to chronic illness
Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance in I love Lucy


24 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these inspiring quotes. I had no idea she lived with a chronic illness. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Graphic Organic, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprising, (not really) that some of the best comedians have overcome extreme difficulties. Sharing on my fibro page on FB next week. We can all use these quotes. Fibromyalgia - Is it For Real? YES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my daughter is a big fan of current comedians and tells me that many of them struggle with depression. Thanks so much for the share and for letting me know.

      Delete
  4. So uplifting, Lee, and exactly what I needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing and for being such a pioneer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service, and good to hear from you Leah. Keep on telling it like it is for you.

      Delete
  5. What an incredible woman, and it's a shame not more was known about her illness, that more wasn't done to try to help her through those tough times. Thank you for sharing these quote, they're brilliant!
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes back in her day it really was considered a stigma to being a successful person and it was hidden. Very little information has come out about it. I suppose it's better if her legacy is in her great comedic work but these days we love it if a celebrity supports a health cause.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:37 AM

    bookmarked!!, I really like your website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. (I wish you weren't anonymous though!)

      Delete
  7. This struck a nerve with me. I work closely with somebody that has this illness. Also, didn't know that Lucy suffered from this. I remember doing detailed assignments in my Film History class about I Love Lucy but I was never aware of this aspect of her life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, I think both herself and those around her kept it quiet. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  8. Lucille was an amazing woman and I think the quotes are spot on! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    Great post! I’m astounded that Lucille suffered from a debilitating chronic illness. She certainly did not let us - the viewers - see her suffering. What a stamina and courage! Thank you for sharing this story.
    Kindly, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anna, she certainly presented her best self to the world and only a few people knew.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:52 PM

    I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.
    I'm hoping to view the same high-grade content from you in the future
    as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my
    very own blog now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great you are going to blog. Call back in soon and let us know what you are blogging about and where we can find you. There is no point in being anonymous if you want traffic to your writing.

      Delete
  11. I had no idea that she had chronic illness! Love when I learn something new. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Ilove learning new stuff too and can share many random titbits (but not much in depth). i notice on your blog you are great at giving indepth info

      Delete
  12. Wow, I had no idea! I need to add her to my list of historical women to learn about. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service. I'm enjoying your badass disabled women posts at Chronic Mom!

      Delete
  13. I never knew this about Lucy. I grew up watching her show. Thank you for shedding light on her struggle and her attitude that helped create her humor and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes such strength and courage that we, with chronic illness, can truly appreciate.

      Delete

Thanks for your input