Tuesday

Fibromyalgia and Sjögren's Syndrome

Fibromyalgia and Sjögren's Syndrome

Well this article from News Medical Life Sciences was definitely of interest to me as I have both Fibromyalgia and Sjögren's Syndrome (SS). I was actually diagnosed with SS first and then when some symptoms did not fit with it the rheumatologist said I also had Fibro. 

You can watch the video or read the transcript below it. 





Studies have explored the possibility of fibromyalgia and Sjögren's syndrome coexisting in a patient. Researchers have found that fibromyalgia is more common in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome who complain of fatigue as their main symptom.

Fibromyalgia is a common and chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points.

Sjogren's Syndrome is a systemic autoimmune disorder with the main tissues attacked are the eye's tear glands and the salivary glands of the mouth. 

The resulting inflammation and destruction of these glands leads to the symptoms of dry eyes and a dry mouth that characterize the condition.

These are just the basic points of both of these conditions and believe me they are both very complex conditions that affect the whole body.
Studies have shown that nearly 68% of patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome have fatigue as a major symptom. 
Fatigue is a common symptom in 12% patients who have both fibromyalgia and primary Sjögren's syndrome as diagnosed by set criteria.
In addition patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome also have severe sleep problems that are seen in a large majority of these patients.
Fatigue, as well as dryness of the mucous membranes within the mouth as seen in primary Sjögren's syndrome is commonly seen in patients with fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia may present alone or in combination with other diseases like primary Sjögren's syndrome. (This correlates with what I have just found out people classified as having primary fibromyalgia (PFM) have a defined set of pain, fatigue, cognitive, and psychological symptoms but do not have an inflammatory disorder. People classified as having secondary fibromyalgia (SFM) do have another inflammatory disease such as sjogren's syndrome or rheumatoid arthritis. Read more about this)
In patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome fibromyalgia has been found in 44 to 55% patients according to some studies.

This information is important because the treatment plan in Fibromyalgia and SS is different and because SS can have serious complications such as lung problems and lymphoma. 

SS is usually diagnosed by an ANA test - Antinuclear Antibody test  and 40% to 70% of patients with SS have a positive ANA test result. 

This result supports the diagnosis but is not required for diagnosis. The doctor may want to test for SSA and SSB subsets of ANA. 

Autoantibodies are antibodies created by the immune system that attack the body rather than a foreign object, and they are not found in Fibromyalgia.

The early stages of Sjogren's Syndrome are often picked up by an opthalmologist because of dry eyes, blepharitis, or by a dentist because people with SS have a dry mouth which causes many cavities.

Often, a rheumatologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the joints, muscles, and bones,  may diagnose the syndrome.
I would love to hear from you in the comments below if you have Fibromyalgia and Sjögren's Syndrome too. 
Fibromyalgia and Sjögren's Syndrome


10 comments:

  1. Geeze this is me. I have Primary Sjogrens Syndrome, Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue. This is really interesting. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CC, glad you found it interesting, sorry to here what ails you.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:00 PM

      Very strange I was diagnosed 2012 with fibro and my daughter has been diagnosed with ss ..just wish there was more that could be done as doctors aren't much help tbh

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have both. I was diagnosed with SS first, about15 years ago. Then more recently,probably in the last 5 years,I was complaining about some issues that did not fit with my Sjogren's. That's when my rheumatologist said the "F" word. He said I had Fibromyalgia as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story, Judi, I always find it interesing to hear about other peoples diagnosis, especially when they have more than one condition.

      Delete
  3. Do you know if one might be the cause of the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No at this stage no one seems to know.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:45 AM

    I am 40 yrs old woman,I have PSS, Fibro and Asthma. I was diagnosed 1 year ago with PSS and recently with Fibro. My quality of life has done a 180. I used to be active, but now I can barely walk 15 minutes before I have to rest and use 1 of my inhalers. I just have to try to stay positive and try every day. Chin up everyone who has this disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to share with others how your life is affected now you have sjogren's, fibromyalgia and asthma. I can understand how you feel as i was very active before. i have actually found from talking to many people with fibromyalgia that they were all very busy and active before they were diagnosed. It's sad isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:02 AM

    I was diagnosed with ss 2 years ago and just couldn’t get my inflammation levels down and still having pain and skin issues. Itching like crazy. Was tested for lupus & RA but both came back negative. I said to my rheumatologist well do I have fibromyalgia? No answer. Just said she could start treating me as though l have lupus and put me on prednisone. I’m already obese so I said no thank you. Left their office discouraged but just kept feeling like something else was going on. Few months later my asthma just keeps getting worse so my primary doctor sent me to a pulmonologist he asked me a few questions; had me point to my chest pain, pressed on it with one finger, so much pain! Did the same to my neck, told me you have fibromyalgia but I can’t diagnose you. Your rheumatologist can. I told him I asked but she just ignored my question, he said some doctors still don’t believe in fibromyalgia. So now I need to find a rheumatologist that will treat me for both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input