Monday

Epsom salt baths for fibromyalgia pain

 Soak on it

More and more research indicates that Fibromyalgia patients suffer from magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is extremely important to many functions in the body, and a deficiency can cause several of the symptoms associated with Fibromyalgia. There are great benefits in taking an Epsom salt bath, rich in hydrated magnesium sulfate, which is easily absorbed through the skin.

epsom salts baths for fibromyalgia

As listed on the Epsom Salt Industry Council website, here are some of the health benefits to be had from an epsom salt bath:

  • Flushes toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
  • Relieves stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
  • Reduces inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
  • Improves oxygen use.
  • Improves absorption of nutrients.
  • Improves formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
  • Prevents or eases migraine headaches.

I don’t think we could ask much more from a simple bath! Epsom salt baths are so relaxing and therapeutic, I recommend you take two or three a week – more if your level of pain dictates. Before bed is a great time, as you will find yourself so relaxed by the natural serotonin boost, you will be able to gently drift off into a restorative sleep.

Thanks to Dannette Mason is the Founder of FibroHaven and the School of Gentle Yoga for this information. 

Dannette’s Philosophy:

I have adopted a holistic approach to wellness, which means I am learning to address all parts of myself, not just the physical symptoms that manifest into what is called fibromyalgia.

I believe strongly in the mind-body connection and look at my body as a whole – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual – and believe that to grow and improve in one area, I need to be mindful of all areas.

Find out about different epsom salt products you can buy.

If you are looking for other natural treatments to help ease your fibro symptoms check out my post on Fibro Files Natural Treatments for Fibromyalgia

Epsom salt baths for fibromyalgia pain

2 comments:

  1. Epsom salt baths are my go to for easing my fibro aches and hip/back pain. I’ve started adding magnesium flakes to them lately as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for letting me know as I have never used magnesium flakes. Will give it a try. I take magnesium daily and find it so important for reducing fibromyalgia cramps.

      Delete

Thanks for your input